360 North Michigan Avenue
This Beaux Arts-style Classical Revival office building (Alfred S. Alschuler, 1923) is one of Chicago’s most prominent skyscrapers. The building suffered from neglect and a 1950s modernization, and by the time it was designated as a Chicago Landmark in 1996, almost three-quarters of the office space was vacant. The new owners initiated a restoration of the façade and historic interior finishes, as well as retrofitting the mechanical infrastructure, in order to attract first class tenants to this premier location. Architectural conservators from EverGreene’s Chicago office studied remnants of the original decorative finishes of the rotunda, lobby, and hallway to determine and match the original color palette. A team of EverGreene decorative painters then reinstated the gilding, glazing and polychromy on the 30-foot-high ornamental plaster ceiling and 120-foot-long corridor. Based on written descriptions of previous lobby murals depicting Chicago scenes of the early 20th century, EverGreene designed and painted two new lunette murals for the lobby.
Architect: Lohan Caprile Goettsch
General Contractor: Clune Construction Company