Church of the Transfiguration, Marian Chapel
When built in 1848, The Church of Transfiguration, located at 29th Street and 5th Avenue, was on the outskirts of New York City. Known for inclusivity, the church was a stop on the Underground Railroad and sheltered African-American families during the Civil War Draft Riots.
EverGreene first worked on this historic church nearly a decade ago, when our craftsmen completed decorative painting restoration and executed plaster repairs. In 2015, EverGreene was once again asked to do more decorative work in the 166 year old parish. Improper repairs and touch-ups on the Marian Chapel had failed resulting in delaminating paint. Conservators used this opportunity to repair the damage to learn more about the historic decorative scheme. They made several exposure windows and revealed original artwork lying underneath the existing decoration. To restore the Chapel to its 19th century appearance, artists removed the flaking paint and replicated the historic window surround borders, arch soffit and diaper pattern.
The light blue background of the chapel was replaced with a rich midnight blue and dotted with a new pattern of gold stars. The statue of Mary and Child was cleaned and a new lighting scheme was installed to highlight the intricate lattice work of the statue and the newly restored decoration.