Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
The Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, housed in the historic 64-room Carnegie mansion (1902), reopened following an extensive $64M renovation in December 2014. As part of the renovation, EverGreene restored decorative paint, plaster, stone and wood finishes in the century-old mansion. Conservation work in the Teak Room included vacuuming and cleaning all wood surfaces, removal of wax and deteriorated shellac, and wood resurfacing as needed. Additionally, conservators gilded and hand-stenciled areas of loss, restoring the historic wall coverings to their original brilliance. In the historic “office” wooden wall finishes were patched and the ceiling was inpainted. The grand staircase required a complete restoration of all wood surfaces, including the intricately-carved wooden banister. Flat and ornamental plaster was restored in numerous rooms throughout the museum and the historic Caen stone in the main entranceway was repaired. The Cooper Hewitt, the only museum devoted exclusively to both historic and contemporary design, takes a hands-on, interactive approach in showing the impact of design on daily life.
Gluckman Mayner Architects; Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners LLP; Diller Scofidio + Renfro