Hall of Justice
The Hall of Justice, constructed in 1925 in the Beaux Arts style, was the nation’s first consolidated judicial facility. In 1994, as a result of the Northridge earthquake, the building sustained severe structural damage and remained vacant until 2012, when restoration began. The Hall of Justice is now occupied by the LA County Sheriff and District Attorney.
Together with Clark Construction and Levin & Associates Architects, EverGreene conserved historic materials and features throughout the Hall of Justice: wood and metal bronze doors at the entrances and elevators; iron stair handrails; bronze casement windows commemorative plaques, historic mail box and radiator grills as well as the reinstatement of historic decorative painted and glazed finishes, including stenciling and faux bois on the interior doors. Plaster ceilings in the four historic staircases were prepared, skim coated and painted. Flat and ornamental plaster in the eighth floor jury room and courtroom was repaired, restored and repainted as was the coffered groin-vault lobby ceiling. Glass panels in the transoms and elevator sidelights were salvaged cleaned and replaced where necessary with historically accurate glass. The Los Angeles Hall of Justice was rededicated and reopened on October 7, 2014.
Clark Construction; General Contractor
Levin & Associates Architects; Restoration Architect