The Biltmore Theatre, with its Adamesque interior and unusual horseshoe-shaped plan, was rennovated for the Manhattan Theatre Club in 2003. This New York City Landmark was built in 1925-26 and is one of six Broadway theaters built by Irwin Chanin.
The restoration of the Biltmore Theater was unusually complex and demanding because of the extensive deterioration from decades of water damage, structural alterations needed, and integration of new mechanical and electrical systems. Dark since 1987, the theater suffered severe deterioration from fire, water infiltration, neglect and vandalism.
EverGreene was responsible for all of the flat and ornamental plasterwork, which involved extensive documentation, black iron and lath, and replacement of missing and damaged elements on about 70% of the surfaces. EverGreene casted 600 pieces of replacement ornament for shipment. Restored original plaster survives mainly at the proscenium arch and portions of the side walls.
After completing the plasterwork, EverGreene artists also performed decorative painting throughout the theater, using cream and brown base colors with glazed and gilded highlights. 48 tons of brown-coat mortar and white plaster were used, 6,000 linear feet of molding was replaced, and 2,500 square feet of ornamental panels and rosettes were replaced.