Brooklyn Navy Yard Admiral Row Building B
Located at the northeast corner of Flushing Avenue and Navy Street, Brooklyn, New York, Admiral’s Row was the residential section of the Brooklyn Navy Yards. In particular, Building B was built along the southern edge of the Yards in 1872 as the living quarters for the captain of the yard. This structure was the largest single residence of the Row. It featured Greek Revival- and Italianate-style elements typical of the mid-nineteenth century. Building B consisted of three stories with a basement, containing ten bedrooms and six bathrooms with a kitchen extension added to the rear of the building in 1931.
Admiral’s Row sat unoccupied for over 40 years and had severely deteriorated over this period–Building B is the last of the Row still standing. In order to allow access, the whole building had to be shored extensively, including the walls and ceilings of the structure.
We were contacted by Steiner NYC to conduct a survey and inventory of the plaster components for Admiral’s Row Building B. During the condition assessment and documentation phase, our architectural conservators took measurements of the overall room dimensions, where accessible. The purpose of this survey is to support restoration efforts of the rooms by confirming conditions of the existing elements and identifying which were stable for salvaging and potential replication. Based on the as-found conditions, essential ornamental plaster pieces were salvaged by EverGreene, photographed in details, and transported to the EverGreene studio in Brooklyn, NY, preparing for the upcoming recreation and restoration of Building B.