Arlington House Mansion Exterior
Arlington House, the former Custis-Lee Mansion, is a monumental Greek Revival style mansion that overlooks the Potomac River. It was designed by English architect George Hadfield and built from 1802 to 1817 for George Washington Parkes Custis, step-grandson of George Washington. Many years later, Robert E. Lee lived in the house for three decades.
The entire front façade and the portico’s eight brick Doric columns were originally painted to simulate Siena marble and local Aquia Creek sandstone, presenting a colorful and theatrical appearance to viewers from across the river. After the Civil War, Arlington National Cemetery was established on the property. The National Park Service has maintained this National Historic Landmark as a museum since 1933.
The National Park Service engaged EverGreene to restore the deteriorated exterior stucco and reinstate the faux-stone façade. Craftsmen stripped more than seven layers of latex and primer paints to restore the decorative paint. The temple-front façade and columns were treated with Keim mineral paints in a technique evoking the appearance of Aquia Creek sandstone and Sienna marble.