Jersey City Hall Council Chambers
Unfortunately not much information is available about the history of Jersey City Hall, although it is known that the building was completed in 1897. In 1892, Commissioners announced the competition for selection of an architect. The project was awarded to the architect Louis Henry Broome. The building met with lot of criticism primarily because of the over-ambitious design by the architect. In order to make a great architectural impact, the architect seemed to overwork the design. As a result, the building does not seem to have a cohesive vocabulary. Beginning in the mid 1970’s, the City Hall benefited from the interest in preservation, but regrettably the 1979 fire destroyed the stained glass dome of the rotunda, bronze frescoes, copper cornices and other ornamentation.
The primary objective of this restoration was to reinstate the original decorative colors and design intent of Jersey City Hall. A target date for restoration was set at 1897, the date of the completion of the entire decorative scheme. The intention was to restore the original concept, harmonize the entire space and bring all elements up to the same level of artistic quality. EverGreene provided a paint study, shop drawings and mockups, wood cleaning, plaster restoration, and decorative painting. Conservators cleaned and refinished the wood around the chamber dome as well as all of the wood benches and other furnishings.