John Sevier State Office Building
Nashville’s Tennessee State Office Building was built in 1940 as part of the New Deal Public Works Administration program. It is an example of the Federal government’s efforts to provide employment during the Depression. The Streamlined Classical design of Nashville architect Emmons Woolwine is seen in the monumental scale of the pilasters and cornice and the simplified classical details of the building. Bronze screens and bas-relief sculptures by Rene Chambellan enhance the design on the exterior.
EverGreene conserved two large murals depicting “The Discovery of Tennessee” and “The Development of Tennessee,” painted by well-respected artist Dean Cornwell in the lobby. Our craftspeople completed the replication of the historic decorative paint on the ceilings located on the first floor Vestibules, Corridors, and Lobbies; along with the wood grain faux finish at the elevator doors and safe.
The building is currently occupied by the Tennessee Attorney General’s office and the Tennessee Highway Patrol Command Center.