Kingston City Hall
A fine example of Victorian architecture, Kingston City Hall is safeguarded by the National Park Service. Completed in 1872 in a late Victorian architectural style, the Kingston City Hall served as the town’s municipal office exactly 100 years, until 1972, when the city offices moved to a new city hall. After being left vacant for twenty years, an extensive restoration and renovation effort was mounted with the aid of federal, state and private funds. Maintaining the character of the historic building, while updating its condition, underscored the premise of the restoration. EverGreene was called upon to assist with the restoration of the historic details including restoring or replicating artwork, moldings, faux finishes, and ceiling designs. Currently the building is once again reoccupied by the city government.
- Reinstatement of three-coat plaster system
- Restoration of flat and ornamental plaster, including reconstruction of non-existing ornaments throughout the building
- Conservation of bas-relief plaster lunettes with sculptures on the history of Kingston, including crack repair, mechanical reattachment, sculpting infill of areas of loss
- Sculpted replicas of missing figurative bas-relief lunettes based on archival photographs
- Paint analysis of historic decorative schemes, including exposure windows for stencils
- Stenciling using computer drawn models
- Travertine cleaning
- Cleaning marble capitols
- Surface preparation, straight painting
- Restoration of stained glass
- Wood stripping
EverGreene returned to the Kingston City Hall in 2009 to provide restoration services to the twenty-three lunettes in the Common Council Chambers and five more that have been in storage. The scope of work included hand sculpting of missing elements of existing lunettes in preparation for making new molds; casting of new lunettes; prime, base paint, & glazing.