Albany County Courthouse
The New York Court of Appeals Building, or the Court of Appeals Hall, was built in 1842 by Henry Rector. This Greek Revival building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. EverGreene completed a a multi-year phased restoration on the occupied courthouse.
A large part of the restoration effort at the Albany County Courthouse was the architectural woodwork. Throughout the building EverGreene performed the stripping, staining, and varnishing on various wooden surfaces including seating and the judges’ benches. Mockups were used at each phase of the project. The process encompassed the cleaning and stripping of existing coatings and finishes, patching of damaged areas, steaming out of dents in the wood, preparing surfaces and light sanding of wood, and the application of stain and varnish.
In addition to woodwork, we performed ornamental and flat plaster restoration, scagliola restoration, decorative paint conservation, Caen stone restoration, straight painting, interior masonry cleaning, and terrazzo restoration throughout the courthouse.