Bailey Hall has been a part of the campus and the community for more than a century. Originally, the space was built for the use of state college students, it filled an urgent need for an auditorium for the whole campus. It was designed by Edward B. Green, who graduated from Cornell in 1878, and first used in June of 1913.
Bailey Hall has been put to some unusual uses over the years when space has been tight. Plant Pathology was housed in the basement of Bailey Hall for a time in the 1920s. The Cornell Federal Credit Union was around the back for several years. Today the hall is named after Liberty Hyde Bailey (1856-1954), the first Dean of the College of Agriculture. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
EverGreene was called in 2003 to complete a study which led to the 2004 plaster and patching restoration, along with metal leafing and exterior gilding.