Exterior Bronze Conservation—Federal Reserve Eccles Building—Private
The imposing marble Marriner S. Eccles Federal Reserve Board Building was completed in 1937. The architect Paul Philippe Cret, who was trained in France, designed the building applying a modern approach to Beaux Arts architecture. The columns and pediments suggest classical styling, but the ornamentation is streamlined. The goal was to create a building that would be both monumental and dignified.
In 2012 we restored the grand window and spandrel panels on the west and south facades of the Eccles building of the Federal Reserve on Constitution Avenue in Washington, DC. Each bronze element was cleaned of loose corrosion, chemically patinated to a statuary bronze, and coated with lacquer. Work was performed within the site’s scheduling requirements and completed within budget.