New York State Appellate Court
This Beaux Arts courthouse was built in 1900 by architect James Brown Lord. The National Society of Mural Painters assisted the architect in designing the mural program for the courtroom and lobby. All of the chosen artists were instructed that their compositions were to follow the designated theme of “civic responsibility” depicted in a manner that complemented adjacent friezes.
Twenty-five separate mural panels in the courtroom and seven different friezes in the lobby were painted in 1899 by the following distinguished artists: Henry Siddons Mowbray, Robert Reid, Charles Y. Turner, William Metcalf, Joseph Lauber, Kenyon Cox, G.W. Maynard, Edwin Howland Blashfield, E. Simmons, and H. O. Walker. These artists have all made significant contributions to the canon of American murals.
EverGreene conducted a mural conservation assessment, testing, and documentation. It was evident that the murals had been restored and cleaned several times, the most recent campaign having occurred in the 1980s. Following review and approval of mockups, our team of conservators carried out recommended treatments, including paint consolidation, surface cleaning and minimal touch-ups.
Our team accommodated the court’s calendar in its logistics plan and work sequence to perform all treatments discreetly and between courtroom dates.
The 2004 project was commissioned to maintain the murals and address the impact of changing environmental conditions. In a prior weather-proofing exterior renovation of the building, EverGreene had been engaged as a consulting conservator to advise on environmental conditions for protection of the murals.