Old Governor's Mansion
Designed by notable Irish architect Charles Cluskey, the Old Governor’s Mansion in Milledgeville, Gerorgia, is a Greek Revival mansion completed in 1839. The historic building was home to ten governors of the State of Georgia and is now the office of the president of Georgia College and State University. This historic house museum is a National Historic Landmark and a Smithsonian Institution affiliate.
EverGreene was engaged to restore the exterior stucco and interior flat and ornamental plaster. The exterior is clad in traditional lime stucco and scored to simulate large stone blocks, its pale pink tint originating from the stucco’s native red clay. We executed paint stripping and a selective demo of failing exterior stucco and created new exterior lime stucco.
The interior has a two-story rotunda which is topped with an ornate plaster dome. We performed restoration of this architectural element using gympsum plaster in order to match existing materials.