Orton Hall Extension Envelope Assessment
Orton Hall at The Ohio State University was completed in 1893. The Richardsonian Romanesque building was designed by J.W. Yost. It still houses the Geology Department as it was built to. The building is a brick masonry structure with sandstone cladding, and the exterior stone envelope has changed very little over the past 125 years.
We were contracted by Perfido Weiskopf Wagstaff & Goettel (PWWG) Architects to provide material analysis and conservation services in support of The Ohio University’s Orton Hall. Interior and exterior services provided were: treatment assessment, material analysis for both on and off-site sampling, testing, and reporting.
The primary aim of treatment consisted of exterior and interior general conservation, restoration, cracks/engraving, cutting repairs, biological colonization removal and cleaning. The results of our study were integrated into restoration plans for the building.