Seattle Union Station
The Beaux-Arts style Union Station, designed by Daniel J. Patterson in 1911, was abandoned for 28 years after Milwaukee Road and Union Pacific discontinued service here in the 1970s. A public-private partnership between local business leaders and Sound Transit restored the landmark building as the regional transit authority’s headquarters and the future hub of Seattle’s light rail system.
The decorative painting in the barrel-vaulted grand waiting room was performed by EverGreene artists. Faux stone decorative painting on the walls convincingly simulate cut blocks of natural stone. Stenciling and gilding bring out the architectural composition of arched ribs, longitudinal beams, and moldings.