Secretary Of The Navy Office
Commissioned by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1887, the Old Executive Office Building (OEOB), previously known as the Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building (EEOB), is a federal office building situated just west of the White House and houses several of the highest ranking offices in the country including the Executive Office of the President, the Office of the Vice President and the Secretary of State’s Office.
Throughout the years, the Secretary of the Navy’s Office had many occupants and had been over-painted with white paint and obscured by pilasters and crystal chandeliers. The office had also been broken up into smaller rooms, and the original foyer enclosed. In 1987, one hundred years after it was built, EverGreene faithfully restored the room, returning the office and foyer to their original highly-articulated and ornamented French Second Empire style of architecture. The scope of the restoration included stenciling, gilding, and fixtures, displaying layer upon layer of classical detail that covers every surface of the room.
Twenty-five years after completing this restoration, EverGreene returned to the Old Executive Office Building as Conservators working under Grunley Construction, performing historic finishes investigations in preparation for the restoration of more spaces.