Trinity Church Wall Street is an active Episcopal Parish that has been an integral part of New York City’s history for more than 300 years. The third and current Trinity Church began construction in 1839 and was finished in 1846. Designed by Richard Upjohn, it is considered one of the first and finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the United States.
EverGreene’s work in the rejuvenation of Trinity Church centers around the Reredos altarpiece of the main nave, which dates back almost 150 years. A creation of architect Frederick Clarke Withers, the Reredos is 35 feet wide and about 20 feet high and sculpted out of French Caen limestone with Lisbon marble, Bay of Fundy granite, and white marble accents. Construction on the Reredos was originally completed in 1877. It features figures from the Bible and the history of Christianity as well as symbolism relating to the Americas and the origins of the Anglican Church.
The full scope of EverGreene’s work included:
- Cleaning all surfaces of the Reredos
- Reredos repairs, including the recreation of lost or damaged ornament both in kind with a dutchman and compatible patches; repointing of joints
- Re-Gilding the niches and lettering
- Reinstallation of the 4 Reredos angels and central cross following EverGreene’s treatment and stabilization