Al Ringling Theatre
The Al Ringling Theatre was the original movie palace designed by Rapp & Rapp, and built in 1915. One hundred years after first opening its doors, the theatre underwent a comprehensive restoration to return its early 20th-century opulence. The scope of work included ornamental plaster and decorative paint restoration throughout the Horseshoe Lobby, Ladies’ Lounge and main auditorium. Our artists replicated and reinstated the damaged plaster ornament and implemented a historically accurate color palette in the theatre.
EverGreene conservators restored the Cloud mural on the ceiling and proscenium panels, as well as the historic fire curtain. Conservators conducted a conditions survey of the Cloud and surrounding murals to determine their current state, and develop strategies for restoration.
Treatment of the mural included plaster consolidation, overpaint removal and inpainting areas of loss. The fire curtain, featuring a painting called Serenade Au Petit Trianon required cleaning, patching and infilling areas of damage or loss.
Today, the Al. Ringling continues to be a regional hub for a live performances, music and films, and is a cornerstone of the Baraboo community.