Cathedral of the Holy Cross
The restoration of Holy Cross Cathedral (Patrick Keely, 1875) coincides with the revitalization of Boston’s South End.
Keely churches are known for their exquisite craftsmanship, museum quality artwork and stone furnishings. Every element of the famed nineteenth century ecclesiastical architect’s buildings have a harmonious relationship with everything else in the interior. Like many churches of its vintage Holy Cross Cathedral suffered insensitive post-historic renovations that covered much of the original artwork and introduced discordant elements. The angels in the sanctuary dome were barely decipherable, the sanctuary was extremely top heavy and the carefully curated relationship between the elements was illegible beneath the layers of post historic, paint, varnish, and wood graining. The Cathedral also suffered the effects of neglect over time and the introduction of carpeting and a wood altar of sacrifice that was lovely in its own right but temporary feeling in comparison with the monumental historic furnishings.
The Archdiocese of Boston, Suffolk Construction, and Elkus Manfredi Architects engaged EverGreene to reinstate lost artwork, conserve murals (including the severely damaged Stations of the Cross), and create a new marble altar of sacrifice, ambo and baptismal font to integrate seamlessly with the historic liturgical furnishings.