Dime Savings Bank of New York
The Dime Savings Bank of New York was built from 1906 to 1908 in the neoclassical architectural style. This New York City landmark — originally known as the Dime Savings Bank of Brooklyn — was built by architect Mowbray & Uffinger. The richly detailed Beaux-Arts interior has an expansive rotunda and a dozen red marble columns with gilded capitals displaying Mercury dimes.
EverGreene began restoration work at this monumental building in 1998, completing a variety of services. We began with a plaster survey of the coffered ceiling and entablatures to determine loose areas and appropriate preservation strategies. The restoration of the ornamental plaster included securing rosettes to lath with heavy-duty wire, replicating missing rosettes in cast plaster, and stabilizing flat and ornamental plaster throughout the banking hall. Following the plasterwork, we executed conservation cleaning of the original polychromatic decorative painting and gilding. We matched, inpainted, glazed, and gilded areas of loss and applied finishes to the replicated plaster. The fluted German marble columns and wainscoting were also cleaned.