El Museo del Bario

New York, New York

Located on Manhattan’s famous “Museum Mile,” El Museo del Barrio – originally built as an orphanage – is New York’s leading Latino cultural institution. The Fifth Avenue lobby displayed 23 tile panels designed by William Grueby circa 1924. Eleven large panels depict children’s fairytales and 12 flanking panels depict pine trees.

EverGreene was contracted to provide design-build services for the removal and conservation of 11 mosaic panels. EverGreene’s approach integrated fine arts conservation, modern technology, and understanding of the historic construction of buildings with terra-cotta block walls. A secure mechanical attachment system for removal and reinstallation of complete artwork panels in wall sections, developed by EverGreene, was specially adapted to the conditions observed at the site. Surface cleaning, protective facing, tile stabilization, backing reinforcement, metal armature, crate design and construction, packaging, and storage were completed in spring of 2009 in preparation for reinstallation in 2011.