Paramount Theatre at Emerson College
Opening in 1932, the Paramount Theatre, designed by Architect Arthur Bowditch, was one of the first movie houses in Boston to play talking motion pictures. In 2005, Emerson College announced plans to renovate the Paramount Theatre, building an entire performing arts facility in and around the theatre.
In 1980, the theater was gutted and all of the finishes removed because they were set on asbestos surfaces. EverGreene was brought on in the early phase of the project by the design team to perform a finishes investigation to determine pre-1980’s historic plaster and paint.
As part of our design-build approach, we presented our research and findings of the original color palette and samples of decorative elements to the architect and client.
The plaster restoration work included the fabrication of archways, lunettes, entablature, columns, brackets, and cornices. Additionally, EverGreene replicated the plaster light fixtures.
The mural in the proscenium of the theater was original and therefore conserved. The murals on the side walls had all been on canvas and were replicated to match the original.
All of the work was produced digitally on canvas in our studio. EverGreene’s skilled craftsmen hand painted a replication of each section of repeat pattern. Our designers then digitized the paintings and printed them on canvas, which were installed and some were hand-painted on site. EverGreene essentially restored the historic Paramount Theatre digitally.