Luzerne County Courthouse
Luzerne County Courthouse was originally built in 1906 and richly decorated with murals by Kenyon Cox and Edwin Blashfield. EverGreene worked for over a decade investigating and researching the art and architectural finishes. All the murals located on the first floor were damaged in flooding in the 1960s and completely overpainted in 1967.
In 2019, EverGreene completed the restoration that had begun on the Courthouse. EverGreene was commissioned to address all artwork and finishes in the remaining first-floor foyer and hallways, by replicating the damaged historic murals and restoring the mosaics and marble. After extensive historic research, design and maquettes were presented and approved.
The murals were recreated on canvas in our Brooklyn studio. The mosaics, and decorative painting consisting of stenciling, gilding and trompe l’oeil, were executed on site, culminating in the installation of the completed murals.