Ohio Theatre, George Gund Foundation Lobby
The Ohio Theatre orginally built as a 1,300-seat theater for live performances, has served as casino from 1935 for a year and reopened as part of the Loew’s Theater chain in 1943 as a first-run movie theater. Ln 1964, a fire destroyed the Ohio Theatre lobby and portions of its auditorium. The Ohio reopened later that year, but the ornate plaster elements, historic murals and decorative paint scheme were abandoned and replaced with a contemporary design in the 1980s.
EverGreene recreated the Ohio’s Italian Renaissance-style elegance. Using archival photographs, drawings and original blueprints, castings from the Lamb-designed State Theatre adjacent to the Ohio, and on-site investigation that uncovered lost ornament beneath the post-historic ceiling, EverGreene’s artists, designers and craftsmen recreated the original lobby. The project required careful recreation of plaster ornament that was then polychromed and glazed. Although the ceiling would have been recognizable to a patron in the 1920s, it was designed and engineered to be cast thinner thereby accommodating new mechanical and electrical systems and allowing for faster installation.
EverGreene also designed, painted and installed three 30’x14’ murals that depict the Temple of Bacchus, Birth of Venus and Muses of Poetry and Music. Other work included marble cleaning and restoration and designing historically-compatible inserts between the balusters of the grand stair rail to insure it met modern safety code requirements.