EverGreene is dedicated to supporting the Association of Preservation Technologies’ (APT) mission of advancing the application of traditional and contemporary technology appropriate to the conservation of the built environment and the cultural resources that contribute to its significance. We are proud to continue as an Annual Silver Level Sponsor for the 2021 virtual conference. If you are attending, please pop into our booth and say hi to our team during the Conference from Monday, Oct. 25th through Friday, Oct. 29th!
Join Terry Vanderwell on Tuesday 10/26 in Track 3: By the People, For the People: Civic Architecture, Public Spaces, and Infrastructure at 4:30 PM for a discussion on the Douglas County Hall of Justice Murals; Riots, Insurrection and Restoration.
- Identify methods of discerning original paint materials from later restorations and alterations.
- Describe ways of minimally destructive investigation of original paint through the use of paint sampling and exposure windows.
- Discuss the design team coordination efforts that take place between the historical architect, the conservators, the contractors during the exploration phase and implementation phases of the project.
- Explain the means and methods utilized to access and restore historic skylights, laylights and paintings in situ.
Our Conservator Katharine George is an organizer and presenter at one of three online workshops entitled WS2: Graffiti Management in a changing world: should it stay, or should it go? This all-day workshop will be offered both Thursday 10/28 and Friday 10/29 from 10:30 am to 5:30 pm and is geared towards preservation professionals who deal with architectural structures and monuments but is also appropriate for building owners and property and site managers. Register for your spot here!
Workshop Learning Objectives:
- Understand the history of graffiti through time and assess different types and the variety of materials use
- Assess the historical, social, and physical significance of graffiti to determine if an intervention, such as documentation and/or preservation, might be proposed as an alternative to immediate graffiti removal.
- Describe common methods and materials for graffiti removal and apply scientific principles to develop an approach to graffiti removal that does no harm.
- Evaluate options for graffiti prevention and the risks and benefits of available treatments.
Watch as EverGreene Painter, Liz Kolligs, shows a technique for inpainting stone.
We look forward to seeing everyone in person for APT 2022 in Detroit!